How to: First Aid for burns
If on Fire
Stop, Drop, Cover and Roll
Smother the flames with a blanket
Remove person from heat source
- Be aware of dangers to yourself at all times
- For all burns run cold (tap) water on it for at least 20 minutes
- If running water is not available, wet several cloths and alternate them onto the burn every minute or two.
- Do NOT use butter, oil, creams or ice, etc.
- Ensure the rest of the body stays warm (wrap them in a blanket where required).
- Remove clothing and jewelry as they can hold heat on the burn and jewelry can stop blood flow to the burn.
- Seek medical attention for any burn bigger than a 20 cent coin, or that blisters or if there are any concerns.